Shepherd’s Care Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions about Shepherd’s Care Ministries and our program for single mothers? Common questions and answers are below.
Who is eligible to apply for the program?
Women who are interested in applying must:
- Be single mothers with dependent children
- Have reliable transportation
- Have documentation of current employment
- Be drug and alcohol free
- Be willing to engage and participate in the program (budget management, personal counseling, Bible study and church attendance, life skills courses)
How do I apply?
Please fill out our online application at https://4lkc.org/scm-application-form/. Once your completed application is received and reviewed, our Resident Director will provide you with two required reference forms.
Why is there a probationary period?
Our 60-day probationary period is designed to:
- Ensure the program is a good fit. During the probationary period, women attend our weekly Monday night Bible study and begin the Financial Peace University course.
- Give you an opportunity to organize your support team. We will match you with a budget coach and personal mentor during the probationary period, and regular meetings will be required.
- Give you the chance to make necessary arrangements to transition from your current housing into our provided residence.
Mothers who successfully complete the probationary period may be asked to complete a second interview prior to housing being offered.
How is school attendance handled if I am relocating from another part of Johnson County?
We partner with the Olathe School District, which provides free transportation if your home school is within the district. This ensures continuity for any children in the K-12 environment.
If your children attend school in another area district, they can:
- Transfer into the assigned schools for our location within the Olathe School District, OR
- Continue to attend their current schools, if you are able to coordinate transportation.
Please note that we can only coordinate provided school transportation for those within the Olathe School District.
Can you tell me more about housing?
We do not provide emergency housing.